Saturday, January 30, 2010

Welcome to Camp.

1/27/10

*Note from the Editor: hey all, sorry about the utterly irritating back-dating that's going on in the blog - it took us a week or so to get connected and get it all up and running...I'll try to post the end of January postings by the 30th or 1st, there might be a glut of posts in the next few days. Cheers, and thanks for being patient*


Today I found the two programs I was sort of looking for. I say that because everything I have been told about this place has not been 100% accurate. I found the computer courses: Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Publisher, and Google Sketch. The first three I know well, and should have no problems there. The other two are the courses I am really after. The second class is called Building Trades, a 360 hour program lasting three months. It teaches you all aspects of basic construction, on paper. After all, we are felons and are not to be trusted with power tools. We get to build a scale model house, to code, and that part I am stoked on. Supposedly, since my release is sooner than most peoples, I get on these sign up lists faster. Although, I hear that is not always the case. Either way, I on the list and all signed up. Mind you, there is a list or a line for EVERYTHING here. I have also learned I am not here long enough to enroll in all of the college courses, only a few. I am still trying to learn which ones I can sign up for, then decide which course(s) will benefit me the most.



I am now going to take the time to highlight some of Sheridise's amenities. We have a gravel track in which 4 times around is .97 mile, so close enough. Along that track is pit stops with pull up bars and crunch aids. We also have: 2 bocce fields, 2 horse shoe pits, baseball field, volleyball sand pit, 2 hand ball courts, basketball court combo pickle ball court, a dilapidated pool table- but I still whooped ass on it, exercise bikes, medicine balls, stair-steppers, jump ropes, crunch bench, and pull up bars. That is all outside stuff. There is also an indoor exercise room with a bunch of elipticals, treadmills, and exercise bikes. One of the guys in my cube is a fitness instructor. He said if I sign up for the class, I get some sort of credit that looks good for when I am trying to find a half way house to move into. Some require these and other credits, some don't. I will sign up for that class, it starts in two weeks. Its all cardio based on Tuesday and Thursday, then Monday, Wednesday, Friday is strength; abs and medicine ball routines. Should be tough, but good.



There is one other thing that is noticeable immediately here. Cats.... everywhere. They are all feral, and are being fed by inmates. It sucks because all we get is processed food, and it is horrible for them, but there is enough sustanence to keep 'em breeding. Some of them are really cute, but most are really mangy.



Otherwise, things are moving along. There are still plenty of things I have yet to learn about, but it will come with time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

your two cents here.