Sunday, January 31, 2010

Camp Daze

1/28/10

I woke up today and walked three miles with a buddy that transferred here with me. When I got back for census count, our wing was targeted by a higher up C.O. The search was focused on one cube a few down from me. I stared in awe as he literally ripped the locker apart, dumping out all the inmate's possessions on the floor. They were on a mission to find something.... contraband.



Now this term is pretty self explanatory. However, in the BOP, nothing is as simple as it seems. For them, that word encompasses the obvious, but includes a variety of food as well. Really? Food? Having more than two pieces of fruit is a no-no. Taking food from the cafeteria is a no-no. Making your own food is a no-no.



So this guy had something like 4 loaves of bread, 6 pieces of fruit, a 5 gal. bucket of ice and a bunch of home made yogurt. Bam, they tossed him in the hole - 23 hours of lockdown and he is two months from being released. He will probably do all his remaining time in the hole. Here is some of the reasoning behind the BOP ban on these items or quantity of items. Fruit can be made into booze. Okay, if you got more than 10 pieces, maybe you should be written up. Bread, they are worried somehow you can use the yeast to make a beer-like beverage, but you actually need the yeast, not cooked bread, so that one confuses me as to why it is such a big deal. The yogurt is an usual one to me. I guess people here are making it, as it is a great source of protein. They don't sell it at commissary. I heard the C.O. say during the raid, 'This stuff is all the rage right now.' Okay, they sell ice cream which has to be eaten right away as we don't get personal fridges or anyway to store it, so sell friggin' yogurt and be done with it. The food-from-the-cafeteria rule sucks too because maybe you want the food, but not at the hour they tell you to eat it. But NO, that's not an excuse. You eat what they tell you when they tell you or else buy your meals at commissary to eat at your leisure.



Either way, I am not a food glutton and have no need to worry about such problems. I eat what and when they say, and only sparingly order food from commissary. I am here for such a relatively short amount of time, I feel no need to endeavor into such behavior that could land me in the hole. FUCK THAT NOISE.



After the shake-down I played pool. Left to eat dinner at 5pm, and played again until it closed at 10pm. Today I learned that the cloth was really ripped up and had been for nearly two years, and not two weeks ago it got re-felted. Even if I didn't get into any classes, that room alone would help me pass an immeasurable amount of time here. Anyway, I have been up since 6am to get my clothes issued and it's now approaching midnight. I am bushed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

your two cents here.